Monday, September 2, 2019

Hindsight 2020: September edition

A recession is coming. The only good thing about a recession is that a lot of people will blame Trump. Even though Presidents have little effect on the economy, it is one of the biggest factors that help determine whom people vote for. This could also have the opposite effect. The recession could take awhile to get here and people could blame the new president for the bad economy. Remember how some people blamed Obama for the mess he inherited? It could really stunt a new administration even if we elected the best possible candidate.

In watching the debates in the past two months, it appears that these candidates are trying very hard to lose the general election. They are spending their time debating old issues like busing and bashing Obama (who is extremely popular with their base). I am not sure what they are thinking. Surely, they know that everything they say will be used as sound bytes by Trump's people in the general election. I am concerned and yes, fear is setting in.

As expected, Biden is starting to scare me as well. I am reminded again why I didn't vote for him in the past. He is a gaffe machine: Here are some things that Joe has said this year that are downright awful:

“Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.” 

... and ...

“We choose truth over facts!”

He also called Theresa May, "Margaret Thatcher" and claimed that England used bio-fuel to fuel their "steamships." No shit! He really said that. This wasn't Trump, but the Democratic party's leading candidate. I'm pretty confident that many of us would be hopping on Trump for saying such things. Trump's way ahead in the gaffe department. Biden has always been this way. I do think Biden can beat Trump, but I'd like see someone really smart rip Trump to shreds. Trump and Biden debating, sounding like drunk idiots I'd meet at Rira's five minute before last call, is not my idea of inspirational. Warren, Harris, Bennet, Gabbard, even Bernie ... they'd tear him a new one. Biden seems more like a nice, mildly liberal and slightly more competent version of Trump. 

Whenever I hear the word "spiritual," I prepare myself ... this word is a red flag. The word "spiritual" announces to the world that bullshit is being spoken. It means it is time for me tune out. There are a lot of things I could be doing with my attention right, listening to bullshit about spirituality is not one of them. So when I hear that one of the candidates is a "spiritualist" this is a huge red flag for me. Ignore Marianne Williamson! The last thing we need right now is more empty platitudes. They are just painful to hear. She represents everything that is wrong with the American left. No policies, just talking points. It pains me to hear this woman getting applause at the debates. She really needs to go away.

Trump now has three legit primary challengers: Joe Walsh, Bill Weld and Mark Sanford. Jeff Flake and John Kasich may get in the race as well.  I am looking forward to the Republican debate (this is sarcasm).

Dropping Out:
John Hickenlooper is dropping out of the Presidential race to concentrate on a Senate run, something I wish more of these candidates did. He recently wrote an Op Ed criticizing Trump's tariff.

Jay Inslee, Seth Moulton, Mike Gravel and Kirsten Gillibrand have all suspended their campaigns

Our Field:
Cory Booker introduced a bill that would eliminate the death penalty. He also announced his plan to fight hate crimes.

Elizabeth Warren proposed creating an office of Broadband Access to get more Americans connected. She also released several proposals regarding Native American issues and a criminal justice plan. He is a policy rock star.

Tulsi Gabbard left the campaign trail for two weeks to fulfill her National Guard training in Indonesia. She was the inaugural guest on Matt Taibbi's new podcast, Useful Idiots.

Pete Buttigieg released his healthcare plan, which would overhaul healthcare in rural areas, and a policy to combat domestic terrorism.  He also released plans to tackle mental health and addiction.

Amy Klobuchar released a plan to combat domestic terrorism and a farming communities program.

Bernie Sanders was on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast. He just released his plan to fight climate change.


Beto O'Rourke wrote an Op Ed about the shooting in El Paso. He released his economic plan and a trade plan.

Bill de Blasio wants to raise taxes on the wealthy.  He was interviewed on WBUR's Here and Now.

Kamala Harris released her plan to combat domestic terrorism.

Michael Bennet was on WBUR's On Point. He announced his idea for a national mentoring and apprenticeship program.

Julian Castro announced his economic and tax plan and proposed doubling our investment in wind power.

Tim Ryan appeared on one of my favorite podcasts, The Gist.

Andrew Yang released his climate change policy.

Power Rankings:
We are getting down to a manageable field. If I had to rank the Democrats in order of my personal preference, I would do so in the following manner: 

Warren
Buttigieg
Biden
Sanders
Booker
Klobuchar
Harris
Castro
O'Rourke
Gabbard
Bennet
Delaney
de Blasio
Ryan
Bullock
Yang
Messam
Sestak
(I probably won't vote if the people below get the nomination)
Steyers
Williamson

I expect this to change.

No comments: